Saturday, January 13, 2007

Some new parts...

I had been wanting to build up a nice solid wheel set with Ti spokes for a while. I had used them on road wheels and was very pleased with their performance. A bit hard to track down these days (in quality) these a 14g straight Marwi Ti spokes. Not cheap by any means, but really a nice addition for any lighter build. Less weight is always beneficial (although sometimes in small amounts), however certain areas are better. Rotating weight is the most noticeable though. Acceleration and movement of the bike are really effected.

I laced them up 36 hole 4 cross with alloy nipples. The process is a bit more intensive then a regular build due to stretching, nothing any wheel builder can't handle. With Profile hubs and Balance 7K rims the set was I believe 1.75lbs front and 2.17lbs rear. Saved roughly half a pound total, not bad, but I would not suggest these unless you have exhaust most other areas the price is prohibitive.

Wheels are just as stiff as with the DT spokes. Ridden street and ramps multiple times since the build and have had no problems, they are working great. So close, to sub 22, new pegs will probably break the barrier as well as MAYBE the Eastern cranks.

I also installed a custom saddle I shaped and covered. About 50g lighter then the junior, and pretty nice, Pink Leather. I also popped on a pair of the Fly brakes, lighter then the Revenge and the bearing systems was a bit convoluted on those and they chattered a bit. The Flys are IMHO just a better idea. Both are nicely built though. Saved damn near a pound with all of these goodies.

2 comments:

Kim Estes said...

could you possibly give a breakdown of all your components and their respective weights? I'm looking to build something super light.

Thanks!

Kim Estes said...

could you possibly give a breakdown of all your components and their respective weights? I'm looking to build something super light.

Thanks!